Raced a 330Ci Today...

AFAIK, 5.5 seconds is extremely quick for a stock G35C. That is the fastest published magazine time I have heard, but I must admit I am not keeping tabs on the G. I believe the G35C is more like a 5.7-5.8 second car, with results of 6.0 or even 6.2 within the standard deviation.

As for the 330, 6.9 sounds about .3-.5 seconds conservative for an auto. Generally, the manufacturer claims are conservative (with several notable exceptions.) I think the G35 is probably few tenths faster than a comparable 330i or 330i zhp (PP) manual.

flashinthepan

AFAIK, 5.5 seconds is extremely quick for a stock G35C. That is the fastest published magazine time I have heard, but I must admit I am not keeping tabs on the G. I believe the G35C is more like a 5.7-5.8 second car, with results of 6.0 or even 6.2 within the standard deviation.
Car & Driver puts the G35c at 6.1, guess its who you believe anymore...lol, so if you went purely by Car & Driver specs it would be close between a 330 & a G35c.

I did test drive a G35c awhile ago & it did feel quicker than a 330.

Bmw 325i 7803

1000 Post Club
flashinthepan said:
Car & Driver puts the G35c at 6.1, guess its who you believe anymore...lol, so if you went purely by Car & Driver specs it would be close between a 330 & a G35c.

I did test drive a G35c awhile ago & it did feel quicker than a 330.
Reinforces my previous implication that the 330 zhp is a bit quicker if not equal to the G35c...

I say the zhp and the g35c both do 0-60 in 5.75 seconds... screw the conservative estimates.

Yeah, but I would still really like to see an equal comparison of the two. Both cars A/C off, windows up, gas tanks full to the rim, etc. The way the G35C was walking on the 330Ci yesterday makes me doubt the 330i ZHP. Yeah, the 330i ZHP has more power and is tuned differently, but the numbers are significantly different: G35C has 280hp and 272 torque, the 330i ZHP has 235hp and 222 torque.

I looked seriously at the G35. In my opinion, the G35 is likely noticeably faster than the 330i with ZHP. Not to say that it would not be a contest or challenge for the G35, but I think the end result would be a notable difference with the G35 outperforming the 330i ZHP consistently.

Bmw 325i 7803

1000 Post Club
Didn't you say the 330ci had an auto? I still think theres something powerwise about the 330ci, especially since my 325i could practically hang with it easily all the way to 125.

Yeah, the G35 Sedan's AWD system is very intelligent, too. Driving around on dry roads, it is 100% RWD. During moderat rear wheel slippage, or during full throttle acceleration, it switches power to 75% rear/25% front. If more slipping occurs, the car can transfer up to 50% of the power to the front wheels. There is also a button on the center console that you push, which locks a 50/50 torque split...you would use this feature when it's snowing out and you want maximum traction.
Pretty good system if you ask me...you get RWD handling and AWD traction...no compromise there. It really is too bad the AWD system is only available in automatic.

Mr Elussive,

Great story, not questioning if your car is faster or not but it sounds like if he had the kind of lead he would have had to let up on the gas for you to come from that far behind, the only reason that I make this point is that everyone talks about stats but what people fail to mention is "driver ability", I overtake cars that are much faster than my 325ic on the Merrit Parkway all the time simply b/c I have better driving skills and know the limits of my car better so I can push it more especially through the curves of the Merrit, and btw if you don't drive the Merrit you should hop over the Tap and take a cruise up there its the type of road all our cars are made for.

My Toy

Last edited:

Bmw 325i 7803

1000 Post Club
My Toy 95 said:
Mr Elussive,

Great story, not questioning if your car is faster or not but it sounds like if he had the kind of lead he would have had to let up on the gas for you to come from that far behind, the only reason that I make this point is that everyone talks about stats but what people fail to mention is "driver ability", I overtake cars that are much faster than my 352ic on the Merrit Parkway all the time simply b/c I have better driving skills and know the limits of my car better so I can push it more especially through the curves of the Merrit, and btw if you don't drive the Merrit you should hop over the Tap and take a cruise up there its the type of road all our cars are made for.

My Toy
352ic??????? SOUNDS LIKE A HOTROD!

Ofcourse you pass everyone, what do you mean cars much faster than urs? You must be crazy, I dont thing anything is faster than your 5.2ltr engine! in that little 3 series.

It should be the all new 352 internal combusta! (ic)

[joke]

My Toy 95 said:
Mr Elussive,

Great story, not questioning if your car is faster or not but it sounds like if he had the kind of lead he would have had to let up on the gas for you to come from that far behind, the only reason that I make this point is that everyone talks about stats but what people fail to mention is "driver ability", I overtake cars that are much faster than my 325ic on the Merrit Parkway all the time simply b/c I have better driving skills and know the limits of my car better so I can push it more especially through the curves of the Merrit, and btw if you don't drive the Merrit you should hop over the Tap and take a cruise up there its the type of road all our cars are made for.

My Toy
Took until the 2nd page for someone to post the obvious?

MR.E no disrespect (and too bad you didn't get a clean beginning to end with the guy), but it would seem clear the guy nailed it up to the speed limit or thereabouts, and then just chilled on the accelleration?? To be many carlengths ahead, and then for you to stomp it and have put numerous carlengths on 'him' at only 85? Seems like he was off the pedal at some point. We're only talking seconds before this happened and was over, and the 330 is no slouch albeit no speed demon. If he had a 20mph difference in speed from his launch until you stomped it, you would not be catching him until you both broke 100mph, if you both had it mashed, and maybe IF even then.

If you had BOTH launched from the light, you woulda pulled on him and quite possibly put a good # of carlengths on him/her, especially if it was an auto. You shoulda pulled next to him and asked for a replay at the next light. [:D]

It's all about drivers ability, and this guy either had none, or left it at the speed limit once he hauled up to it.

Either way congrats on blowing the crud out and having the kahunas to make the afternoon interesting. It's good to open them up and let 'em breathe! (The cars and the kahunas!) [:)]