BMW Dealer Can Not Fix My X! Steering Issue

Barrymer

My 2019 BMW X1 with 21k miles is still under warranty. It developed excessive play in the steering wheel. The dealer has tried to fix it in conjunction with BMW of North America for almost 5 months without success. The dealer now points to BMW corporate and corporate is ghosting me. This appears to be a clear breach of contract. Has anybody had an experience with this steering issue or another issue under warranty that BMW could not fix? What's an owner to do?

Barrymer

I'm writing this email for the other handful of people on this site. After 5 months, my BMW dealer finally fixed my issue and you won't believe what it was. It wasn't the rack and pinion, it wasn't the struts, it wasn't worn tie rod ends, and it wasn't the alignment, or any of the other myriad things the dealer replaced. It turned out to be the tires. They put 2 new run-flat tires on the front and Voila!!! Problem solved. By the way, on the 2023 X1 models, they have dispensed with run-flat tires altogether. They are no longer an option.

Good luck to everyone and happy motoring!!!